river-dev mailing list archives

From Simon IJskes - QCG <si...@qcg.nl>
Subject Re: mdns discovery
Date Wed, 18 Jan 2012 12:42:17 GMT
On 18-01-12 12:21, Dan Creswell wrote:
> I've spent quite a lot of time messing around with jmdns and my view
> is is it's almost unserviceable.
>
> For starters, it's not compatible with more recent changes introduced
> in OS X, falling down uselessly as opposed to merely dropping what it
> doesn't understand.
>
> For second, it has lousy resource handling and poor threading behaviours.
>
> I would love to integrate mdns into River, jmdns however in my opinion
> is not the way to go.

Ok, that doesn't look well. Do you have a list of bugs that you have
collected? There are some bugs in jmdns, which i've overcome right now,
the multiinterface issues for instance. It did not reregister old
services when a IPv6 address dropped and a new one was generated. There
is a sequence specific way to talk to it. :) I stopped using the
'comfort' methods provided bij the mmdns class. What issues does it have
with OSX?

Gr. Sim