river-dev mailing list archives

From Gregg Wonderly <gr...@wonderly.org>
Subject Re: Java security Policy - concurrency issues
Date Thu, 27 Oct 2011 15:55:21 GMT
What about a volatile as the visibility control?  Write after update, read
before access?  It would at least expose the changes to other threads, not be a
lock, and represent a fairly limited overhead on most hardware.

Gregg

On 10/27/2011 8:55 AM, Peter wrote:
> The problem:
>
> Stale references allowed and noted in comments:
>
> java.security.Permissions
> java.security.BasicPermissions.BasicPermissionCollection
>
> The stale reference in Permissions is an AllPermission object - an optimisation.  If
a thread doesn't see the current value, it just checks the internal Map, which is synchronised,
no biggy.

> Problem is, Permissions is a heterogenous PermissionCollection, it contains a Map, synchronzed
thread access, which prevents a similar optimisation in the homogenous BasicPermissionCollection
from being seen in the stale state.

> Every ProtectionDomain has its own Permissions and each Permission class type has it's
own unique PermissionCollection shared with all others with the same type for a ProtectionDomain.

> I replaced Permissions with a class called ConcurrentPermissions that uses a ConcurrentMap
>
> Trouble is BasicPermissionCollection is no longer protected by synchronization in Permissions.
 BasicPermissionCollection now exposed to multiple threads has a stale reference optimisation
for wildcard * permissions.

> What happens in my concurrent policy implementation is the Permission isn't necessarily
found in the BasicPermissionCollection by a second thread, so it checks the PermissionGrants
(immutable objects that contain data from policy files or dynamic grants) again and adds all
the permissions to BasicPermissionCollection again.   So it doesn't fail, but it doesn't scale
well with contention, because you've still got the synchronisation bottleneck, can't see the
Permission and have to process again, wasting resources, on the second occassion.

> Problem is, BasicPermissionCollection is the bread and butter PermissionCollection implementation
many Permission classes use.

> Now you have to remember, these classes were designed well before concurrency was ever
a consideration.  Nowadays these classes would be immutable, since policy's don't change much,
they're mostly read access.

> But I can't change it because many are part of the decision process.
>
> Now I could put a synchronized wrapper PermissionCollection class around these things,
which fixes the bug, creating long lived objects that live on the heap and will likely cause
L2 cache misses or contended locks.

> How about something different?
>
> Create the PermissionCollection's on demand, then discard immediately after use.  The
Permission objects themselves are long lived immutable objects.

> Why?
>
> It'll be used only by one thread, so the jvm will optimise out the synchronised locks.
>
> The object will be created on the threads local memory stack, instead of the heap and
die in the young generation, so it doesn't incur gc heap generation movements or memory heap
copy to cpu cache stalls.

> But what about single thread applications or those with few threads and little contention?
 They would run slower, although object allocation costs aren't as bad as people think, say
10 to 20 cpu cycles compared to 200 for a cache miss, or worse for a contended lock.

> Pattern matching of strings is the most expensive computation of most permission decisions
and has to be repeated for every ProtectionDomain on the call stack for each thread, the impact
on single core machines won't be much.  I can test for that, but not the high end stuff.