river-dev mailing list archives

From Peter <j...@zeus.net.au>
Subject Re: Java security Policy - concurrency issues
Date Thu, 27 Oct 2011 18:17:55 GMT
That's exactly what the original implementers needed to do, make those fields volatile.

They're private implementation fields though.

Trouble is, none of these old jvm homogenous PermissionCollection's have been exposed to any
more than single threads before and the last thing I want to do is reimplement them.  They're
supposed to be thread safe but many have visibility issues.

Considering java security policy is a occassional write, multi read, it should be simple to
make it scale very well, using immutability and concurrency utils.  There's just some legacy
cruft that spoils it a little.

I guess I could make a wrapper class that uses volatile and write replace,  but then if it
changes you still have to replace the underlying PermissionCollection, and still wear the
synchronisation cost.

Cheers,

Peter.

Cheers,