river-dev mailing list archives

From Tom Hobbs <tvho...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: IsolatedExecutor
Date Thu, 15 Sep 2011 10:00:15 GMT
First, I'll admit to not having looked at your attached code, so I can't
comment on it.

The idea of starting a new jvm process for every proxy downloaded still
troubles me though.  Surely you can still DOS attack something by getting it
to start new JVMs for every download.  JVMs are not renowned for being light
weight.  Plus, it's going to have an impact on legit services if they're all
stuck in their own VMs.  Sorry, I'm not articulating myself very well (need
more coffee) I'm just uneasy about this approach.

I'm still more in favor of creating implicitly trusted lookup services,
where we can assume that if I get a proxy from that service then the proxy
can be trusted.  I'm fuzzy on the details about how you differentiate a
trusted lookup service from an untrusted one.  Also, how you would verify a
service trying to register with it as a trusted service.

Sort of like the app-store model, where security is provided by manual
checks and legal contracts rather than a "well, I downloaded the proxy and
it didn't bite me" approach which is what this seems to be.

Sorry for hijacking your thread.

Tom

Grammar and spelling have been sacrificed on the altar of messaging via
mobile device.

On 15 Sep 2011 03:17, "Peter Firmstone" <peter.firmstone@zeus.net.au> wrote:
> [...]
> RejectedExecutionHandler handler){
> super( corePoolSize, maximumPoolSize, keepAliveTime, unit,
> workQueue,
> threadFactory, handler);
> }
>
> @Override
> protected void afterExecute(Runnable r, Throwable t) {
> super.afterExecute(r, t);
> if (t == null && r instanceof Future<?>) {
> try {
> ((Future<?>) r).get();
> } catch (CancellationException ce) {
> t = ce;
> } catch (ExecutionException ee) {
> t = ee.getCause();
> } catch (InterruptedException ie) {
> Thread.currentThread().interrupt(); // ignore/reset
> shutdownNow();// Ensure the interrupt isn't cleared.
> } finally {
> //TODO: Implement a shutdown hook for the jvm for
> other Error's.
> /*
> * Even though ThreadPoolExecutor only catches a
> RuntimeException,
> * a FutureTask catches a Throwable, so we can get
> an Error
> * cause, wrapped in an ExecutionException.
> */
> if ( t instanceof OutOfMemoryError || t instanceof
> StackOverflowError ){
> /* Do we want to take different actions based
> on the error?
> * OutOfMemoryError doesn't mean the jvm is
> completely devoid
> * of memory, it indicates that there wasn't enough
> * memory to create the last object.
> */
> free = null; // Free some memory to allow recovery.
> System.gc();
> Thread.currentThread().interrupt(); // Allow
> the run method to exit
> shutdownNow(); // Make sure the interrupt
> doen't get cleared.
> /* It might be tempting to throw ThreadDeath,
> it's not required,
> * instead we just let the thread stack
> overflow, or run until
> * no more objects can be created in the jvm.
> The low
> * thread priority ensure that performance
> isn't impacted
> * by endless loops, however large memory
> consumption
> * will impact performance.
> */
> }
> }
> }
> }
> }
> }
>

> ------------- ---------------- ---------------
> Testsuite: org.apache.river.impl.security.dos.IsolateTest
> Tests run: 2, Failures: 0, Errors: 0, Time elapsed: 19.838 sec
>
> ------------- Standard Output ---------------
> Stack overflow
> java.util.concurrent.ExecutionException: java.lang.StackOverflowError
> at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerGet(FutureTask.java:222)
> at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.get(FutureTask.java:83)

org.apache.river.impl.security.dos.IsolateTest.stackOverflow(IsolateTest.java:80)
> at

> at

> at

org.junit.runners.model.FrameworkMethod$1.runReflectiveCall(FrameworkMethod.java:44)
> at

org.junit.internal.runners.model.ReflectiveCallable.run(ReflectiveCallable.java:15)
> at

org.junit.runners.model.FrameworkMethod.invokeExplosively(FrameworkMethod.java:41)
> at

org.junit.internal.runners.statements.InvokeMethod.evaluate(InvokeMethod.java:20)
> at

org.junit.internal.runners.statements.RunBefores.evaluate(RunBefores.java:28)
> at

org.junit.internal.runners.statements.RunAfters.evaluate(RunAfters.java:31)
> at

org.junit.runners.BlockJUnit4ClassRunner.runChild(BlockJUnit4ClassRunner.java:70)
> at

org.junit.runners.BlockJUnit4ClassRunner.runChild(BlockJUnit4ClassRunner.java:44)
> at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner.runChildren(ParentRunner.java:180)
> at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner.access$000(ParentRunner.java:41)
> at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner$1.evaluate(ParentRunner.java:173)
> at

org.junit.internal.runners.statements.RunBefores.evaluate(RunBefores.java:28)
> at

org.junit.internal.runners.statements.RunAfters.evaluate(RunAfters.java:31)
> at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner.run(ParentRunner.java:220)
> at junit.framework.JUnit4TestAdapter.run(JUnit4TestAdapter.java:39)
> at

org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.optional.junit.JUnitTestRunner.run(JUnitTestRunner.java:518)
> at

org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.optional.junit.JUnitTask.executeInVM(JUnitTask.java:1420)
> at

org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.optional.junit.JUnitTask.execute(JUnitTask.java:848)
> at

org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.optional.junit.JUnitTask.executeOrQueue(JUnitTask.java:1899)
> at

org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.optional.junit.JUnitTask.execute(JUnitTask.java:800)
> at org.apache.tools.ant.UnknownElement.execute(UnknownElement.java:291)
> at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor157.invoke(Unknown Source)
> at

> at

org.apache.tools.ant.dispatch.DispatchUtils.execute(DispatchUtils.java:106)
> at org.apache.tools.ant.Task.perform(Task.java:348)
> at org.apache.tools.ant.Target.execute(Target.java:390)
> at org.apache.tools.ant.Target.performTasks(Target.java:411)
> at org.apache.tools.ant.Project.executeSortedTargets(Project.java:1399)
> at org.apache.tools.ant.Project.executeTarget(Project.java:1368)
> at

org.apache.tools.ant.helper.DefaultExecutor.executeTargets(DefaultExecutor.java:41)
> at org.apache.tools.ant.Project.executeTargets(Project.java:1251)
> at

org.apache.tools.ant.module.bridge.impl.BridgeImpl.run(BridgeImpl.java:284)
> at

org.apache.tools.ant.module.run.TargetExecutor.run(TargetExecutor.java:539)
> [...]
> at tests.support.StackOverflowTask.callAgain(StackOverflowTask.java:20)
> at tests.support.StackOverflowTask.call(StackOverflowTask.java:16)
> at tests.support.StackOverflowTask.callAgain(StackOverflowTask.java:20)
> at tests.support.StackOverflowTask.call(StackOverflowTask.java:16)
> at tests.support.StackOverflowTask.callAgain(StackOverflowTask.java:20)
> at tests.support.StackOverflowTask.call(StackOverflowTask.java:16)
> at tests.support.StackOverflowTask.callAgain(StackOverflowTask.java:20)
> at tests.support.StackOverflowTask.call(StackOverflowTask.java:16)
> ArrayList overflow
> java.util.concurrent.ExecutionException: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError:
> Java heap space
> at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerGet(FutureTask.java:232)
> at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.get(FutureTask.java:91)

org.apache.river.impl.security.dos.IsolatedExecutor.process(IsolatedExecutor.java:84)
> at

org.apache.river.impl.security.dos.IsolateTest.arrayListOverflow(IsolateTest.java:100)