river-dev mailing list archives

From Gregg Wonderly <gr...@wonderly.org>
Subject Re: IsolatedExecutor
Date Mon, 19 Sep 2011 13:21:25 GMT
On 9/18/2011 6:21 AM, Peter wrote:
> In reality, the heart of the problem is there a single shared memory heap
 > for applications sharing a jvm and we can't rely solely on permissions.

When I think about Jini being used for Public APIs and for a more generic public
service interface, over the internet, I think about the web browser experience
for the past 20 years, and look at the path followed to where things are at now.

The web browser is a form of what "ServiceUI" would potentially become.  Imagine
ServiceUIs in a tabbed environment, or multiple windows as the browsers let the
user select now.  Javascript/applets/plugins are the "mobile code" which for
Jini, would be implemented by ServiceUI and Proxies.  Plugins, could include 3rd
part codebases which would present an interesting issue for knowing what was
going on in the total service experience.

It seems to me, that the IsolatedExecutor is a form of what is happening with
"plugins run in separate processes" that many browsers have been moving to/towards.

This is how it all lines up for me.  And thus, I'm still wondering about what
would happen with ServiceUI to keep it out of the main JVM, but still able to
run inside of a single container, in some way.

Gregg