river-dev mailing list archives

From Tom Hobbs <tvho...@googlemail.com>
Subject [DRAFT][REPORT] River Board Report August 2011
Date Tue, 09 Aug 2011 19:20:15 GMT
Comments always welcome, due date is 15th August.

Sent to private@ because I thought there might be a couple of things
that should remain so.  I'm happy to move it onto dev@ if people think
that's unnecessary.

Below is the August board report for River

Apache River is a distributed computing architecture, based on the JSK
Starter Kit Source code donated by Sun Microsystems, for the Jini
Specification.

Releases:
Our first TLP release (2.2.0) was finally made available on 28th July.
Progress:
As usual, the community is there but activity on dev@ is pretty slow.
There's usually a flurry of activity when one of our number manages to
find sme time and get something done.  We believe this proves that,
although small, the community exists and is still functioning well.

Community:
We made one invitation to committer/PMC status this period but it was
implicitly turned down (no response to offer email).  On the other
hand, the arguments which plagued the early days of River aren't
happening.  We're also getting involvement from Jini old hands.

Issues:
No board issues at this time.

Website/Trademark Checklist:
- Project Website Basics : homepage is project.apache.org (COMPLETE)
- Project Naming And Descriptions : use proper Apache forms, describe
product, etc. (COMPLETE)
- Website Navigation Links : navbar links included, link to
www.apache.org included (COMPLETE)
- Trademark Attributions : attribution for all ASF marks included in
footers, etc. (INCOMPLETE, NOT CHECKED)
- Logos and Graphics : include TM, use consistent product logo on your
site (INCOMPLETE, NOT CHECKED)
- Project Metadata : DOAP file checkedin and up to date (INCOMPLETE,
NOT CHECKED)

The board also asked to make sure that all PMC members had read the
PMC trademark/branding responsibilities.  [1]  4/11 PMC members
confirmed that they'd read it, although I suspect that some of the
others had already read it given their involement with other Apache
projects.  There was a very brief discussion that it wasn't
immediately obvious/clear when signing up for PMC duties that
"trademark enforcer" was part of the role.  It seemed a fair comment
but I hope that by outlining the support provided by ASF we don't have
to be legal experts in this field to be able to keep an eye on how
other entities use the Apache River marks.

[1] http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/responsibility.html