river-dev mailing list archives

From Gregg Wonderly <ge...@cox.net>
Subject Re: Usability - "The Platform"
Date Mon, 29 Aug 2011 21:05:58 GMT
Peter, I am not sure I really understand the exact issue(s) that you want to
resolve.  Jini has the behavior that clients dynamically discover the "code"
that they will use.  OSGi has the attribute that clients load packages for the
"code" that they use.  In both cases, the deployment mechanism has established
the content that is "the code".  OSGi includes more literal dependency
specifications from each packages perspective.  Jini doesn't do it that way.
Instead, the "codebase" and "classpath" mechanisms are used to "tell" the system
that is built what to do.

When you get into a more arbitrary environment like "the internet", then more
expressive and more detailed relationship descriptions between packages can help
make it possible for multiple packages to use multiple versions of the same
package.  The code in com.sun.jini.start provides the mechanism for services to
be separated from each other, but not from the system classpath.

I think it would be a good idea to just detail the concerns first, and then
discuss where those concerns are visible or problematic so that we can work
through any other issues that might be stimulated forth, out of the discussion.

Gregg