river-dev mailing list archives

From Peter <j...@zeus.net.au>
Subject Ease of use, development & deployment
Date Tue, 09 Aug 2011 06:53:20 GMT
Following up on recent discussions about security.

Java, River / Jini Security features are advanced programming concepts.

You need security policies, need to know what permissions each codebase requires to function.
 A key server is essential, along with user Subjects and Principals (including preserving
the SubjectDomainCombiner accross privileged calls.  Then you've got Proxy trust, verification
and dynamic grants.

I've thought previously about having separate releases, one for private networks, the other
for untrusted networks.  Leading me to consider modularity, to avoid forking, that, classloader
issues and codebase annotation loss.  But modularity appears to have stalled.  A lot of the
code I'm writing is in different branches, I'm not great at merging, and will be time poor
soon, so I'm concentrating on wrapping up my recent security work.

Does anyone have any suggestions for annotations?  So developers can weave in security later,
allowing them to get up and running with River in a local network first, then learn security
later?

Example: an annotation and the boilerplate code that needs to be weaved in by an annotation
processor.

Cheers,

Peter.