river-dev mailing list archives

From Patricia Shanahan <p...@acm.org>
Subject Re: Future plans
Date Sun, 31 Jul 2011 23:23:36 GMT
On 7/31/2011 1:43 AM, Peter Firmstone wrote:
> * TaskManager - improve concurrency and remove the dependency on
> Task.runAfter() in River code.

I'm playing with implementing a subclass of ThreadPoolExecutor that
modifies the number of threads based on the mean number of tasks over
some recent time period. That way, the number of threads will not be a
long term bottleneck, but threads will not be created and destroyed for
short-lived bursts.

I have an on-going concern, for all performance and concurrency work in
River, that we have neither benchmarks nor access to real installations
to instrument and observe.

Patricia