river-dev mailing list archives

From Gregg Wonderly <gr...@wonderly.org>
Subject Re: Distributed Garbage Collection & Security - InvocationConstraints
Date Sun, 31 Jul 2011 20:41:04 GMT
On 7/31/2011 5:35 AM, Peter Firmstone wrote:
> I think this would be useful in an internet environment, where a developer wants
> to export an object and hand it as a parameter to another service, and have it
> unexported automatically when no longer required.

This is why I make my smart proxy classes be InvocationHandlers and then embed
the real remote object and a lease into the marshalled object.  With deferred
unmarshalling, then others who unmarshall it for use, apply a
LeaseRenewalManager on the lease as well so that everyone using it is making
sure the server is not releasing it.

Endpoints as they exist today, are not mobile because of code contamination and
lost-code-base issues that occur when a remote object is remarshalled to send
across the wire.

Multiple unmarshalling activities in the same JVM might not be safe if there is
static class initialization that should of been per-instance.

I think this is an area that needs some investigation for sure.

Gregg