river-dev mailing list archives

From Sim IJskes - QCG <...@qcg.nl>
Subject Re: Firewall traversal
Date Thu, 21 Jul 2011 12:41:04 GMT
On 20-07-11 14:04, Peter Firmstone wrote:
> The Endpoint implementations I'm interested in are the SSLEndpoint's.

The socket in the SslConnection class is connected with a SocketAddress
(in SslConnection.connectToSocketAddress). So if you have created your
own Socket with your own SocketFactory, you need to do your translation
in the Socket.connect(). I think you need to create a SslEndpoint with a
symbolic address, that does not go through DNS lookup (because this is
cached). The only space that has enough room is the IPv6 number space.
This IPv6 number could be from a private net, and you could use the
subaddress within this net to do a lookup of some kind. But this sounds
like a terrible hack to me. This could solve the problem that you have
to know in advance what your external address will be before you start
to serialize a SslEndpoint from your SslServerEndpoint.

> Because UDP is connectionless, it makes it easier for UDT to traverse
> NAT's, but it's worth noting that UDT uses connections, congestion
> control and retransmissions at the application level, to a NAT, it's
> just UDP.

Once we have solved the 'know your external address before listening'
problem we can tie any solution to it. (I think!)

And if we allow for TURN based proxies, we should think about the
connection path for local (on the same intranet) connections.

I still think url/uri based endpoint specification is better though.
Just because the specification space is bigger.

Gr. Sim