river-dev mailing list archives

From Patricia Shanahan <p...@acm.org>
Subject Re: TaskManager
Date Tue, 05 Jul 2011 13:03:52 GMT
The different thread pool implementations allow different constructor
parameters. Perhaps a factory pattern?

I think it would make run time selection of an alternative
implementation easier, but make it harder for a class to specify
parameters. On the other hand, I'm not sure how informed and meaningful
the per-using-class parameters are.

Also, does it make sense to have separate pools, if we remove runAfter
as a thread pool feature? Maybe we should have one pool for all River
code running under a single JVM? That would improve thread sharing, and
simplify the parameters.

(I would oppose combining pools with runAfter, because of O(n^2) behavior).

Patricia