river-dev mailing list archives

From Patricia Shanahan <p...@acm.org>
Subject Re: TaskManager
Date Fri, 01 Jul 2011 20:28:52 GMT
On 7/1/2011 1:14 PM, Gregg Wonderly wrote:
> If the system throughput is not meeting my needs, I'll apply admission
> controls, or "add hardware" to manage the issue. Anything else done by
> river only serves as a "limit" that can be very frustrating to debug and
> deal with.

I would like to make any River controls e.g. on the number of threads
for some purpose configurable. A site that does not want any River
controls would configure the upper limits on threads to be
Integer.MAX_VALUE.

If we get rid of the runAfter issue, we could possibly reduce the number
of separate thread pools, making configuration simpler. runAfter, as
currently implemented, introduces some O(n*n) behavior, where n is the
number of incomplete tasks.

Patricia