river-dev mailing list archives

From Gregg Wonderly <gregg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Fwd: Re: Anonymity, Security - ProcessBuilder and Process]
Date Sun, 12 Jun 2011 17:47:27 GMT
I just wonder if most of phoenix would not already be used.  Basically, we'd provide a service
definition that would perform a lookup with a designated serviceID and then we'd lookup that
service and use it locally.  That, for example would allow service endpoint actions for recovery
from comms problems etc to "just" happen, as well as allow a crashed endpoint JVM to recover.

Gregg

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 12, 2011, at 2:54 AM, Peter Firmstone <jini@zeus.net.au> wrote:

> Tom Hobbs wrote:
>> Always communicating in a separate JVM is going to have obvious performance
>> costs.  Do we know what they are and are they acceptable?
>
> It's hard to say at this stage, without an implementation, but it will consume more resources.
>
> I figure a good compromise would be that each registrar proxy be responsible for it's
own jvm and any services it provides.  The client would be run from it's own jvm.

> A separate JVM for remote code reduces the amount of client and platform code visible
to proxy's.  Shared class (static) variables are not possible between client and downloaded
code.  This would also allow different conflicting libraries to be kept separate.

> The Isolates API would be more desirable, but not available.
>
> Just an experiment at this stage, time will tell...  anyone wanting to help, sing out.
>
>> Is going to be
>> easy to turn off for.people who trust what they're downloading an don't want
>> to pay the perf costs etc?
>>
> I hope so, haven't considered configuration at this stage.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Peter.

>> behalf

>> streams,

>> streams

>> Process

>>> I guess the attacker would be someone who already has user access to a
>>> system, if that's the case, the game's probably lost for most systems.
>>>
>>> I'm trying to consider the semantics of such a connection with regard to
>>> InvocationConstratints.
>>>
>>> Integrity,
>>> Confidentiality,
>>> ServerAuthentication