river-dev mailing list archives

From James Grahn <grahn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: correctness, generics, and spaces
Date Thu, 02 Jun 2011 16:39:23 GMT
On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 11:58 AM, Dan Creswell <dan.creswell@gmail.com> wrote:
> I recall one of the reasons for introducing generics was because force
> of sufficient reasoning proved ineffective such that people would get
> runtime casting problems when extracting objects from collections.

I find the comparison apt: the choice is making a correct cast in a
central location vs. having everyone manually cast.

> Regardless we can have an endless debate about this or do some
> practical experimentation. So....

We do have a platform for practical experimentation already.   The
generics branch of the code has the bulk of what's under discussion,
though it needs a small patch to eliminate a corner case (again,
coming soon).

That branch, however, mutates the existing interfaces and classes.
If we wish to present both interfaces as options to users, that will
have to be changed.   Which is entirely doable, if that's the
consensus for a next step.

jamesG