river-dev mailing list archives

From Gregg Wonderly <gr...@wonderly.org>
Subject Re: Release 2.2 comments
Date Thu, 30 Jun 2011 19:40:01 GMT
+1

I vote a non-binding +1 to release.  I agree with Peter's perspective too.  The
fact that the tests need to be compiled under JDK1.6 is a distraction that  can
be worked on separately from putting out releases.  There is an environment to
run 100% test coverage in, and the known limitations of testing in JDK1.5 are
just not severe enough to hold off a release.

A runtime check can be put in place to check the type of the return value, and
then act on it appropriately to support both JDK1.5 and JDK1.6.

Gregg Wonderly

On 6/30/2011 3:53 AM, Dan Creswell wrote:
> On 30 June 2011 08:25, Peter<jini@zeus.net.au>  wrote:
>> The qa suite needs to be considered separately from the main build.  It currently
requires jdk1.6, there are other tests using sun internal implementations that depend on jdk
1.6.

>> With source=1.4 or jsr14 it didn't matter, it still had to be compiled with 1.6,
we bundled it into the main build in recent times, it used to have it's own separate make
build.

>> If we use source=5, target=5 we need to check it compiles and runs on java 6, even
if it doesn't compile on 5.

>> My preference:
>>
>> Compile on jdk 1.6, test on java 5 and 6, some tests will fail on 5.
>>
>> Java is bytecode backward compatible,  but not necessarily source backward compatible.
>>
>> Forget deleting tests, this is just a distraction and side effect of using a very
large build while trying to support a number of platforms.
> +1
>
>> +1 release current artifacts.
>>
>> This is the best release so far with a number of fixes, lets get it out there.
>>
> +1
>
>> We can deal with this issue given proper time to consider alternatives to sun internal
implementations, eg DI, mocking?