river-dev mailing list archives

From Patricia Shanahan <p...@acm.org>
Subject Re: LICENSE and NOTICE Files
Date Tue, 14 Jun 2011 20:58:40 GMT
The early days of UNIX definitely suffered from developers acting as
though they had to pay for every character they typed. See command names
such as "ls" and "rm".

It may have been a reflection of use of paper-based terminals, such as
thermal printers, or of slow communication speeds. At 110 baud I
resented every wasted character.

I can see saving characters as a reason for picking a name in the 1970's
or even 1980's, but I'm questioning why "LICENSE" is preferred over
"LICENSE.txt" in 2011, with broadband, large screens, and modern keyboards.

If I could be sure the only reason for the preference for "LICENSE" is
the typing non-issue, I would definitely support adding ".txt".

Patricia