river-dev mailing list archives

From Gregg Wonderly <gr...@wonderly.org>
Subject Re: LICENSE and NOTICE Files
Date Tue, 14 Jun 2011 19:47:43 GMT
The .txt extension is helpful for easy opening to read on desktop environments
where double clicking will perform file type launching.  On Windows, I always
modify the "Send To" menu to include a shortcut to wordpad so that there is some
editor that I can use when I right click on an icon.  I can select Send
To->Wordpad and see the file quickly.  This helps a lot in not having to
"rename" files for easy access, but it is still more work than "double click" is.

Historically, the command line OS folks have complained about having to type the
extra four characters.  They don't want to do "more LICENS*" to view the file
because of the potential for getting the "wrong" file is the usual argument.

As more and more people end up with mostly desktop computing, the arguments are
getting less and less valuable because inconvenience to "the few" is now mostly
the few command line users, instead of the "few windows users".

Gregg Wonderly