river-dev mailing list archives

From "Christopher Dolan" <christopher.do...@avid.com>
Subject RE: client hang in com.sun.jini.jeri.internal.mux.Mux.start()
Date Fri, 29 Apr 2011 20:33:35 GMT
Thanks, Tom.

I don't really understand your Future suggestion.  Are you suggesting
changing the async handshake to a Future? If so, that sounds like a very
involved change, touching a lot of code in Mux and its subclasses.

setDown() changes the value of the muxDown boolean to true, so it's a
valid way out of the loop.

Chris

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom Hobbs [mailto:tvhobbs@googlemail.com]
Sent: Friday, April 29, 2011 2:27 PM
To: dev@river.apache.org
Subject: Re: client hang in com.sun.jini.jeri.internal.mux.Mux.start()

The proposed code looks fine to me.  Two points leap out, more
discussion
points than anything else.

For some reason I've recently developed an aversion to writing my on
timeout
logic.  did you consider using something like a Future here or might
that be
serious overkill (it wouldn't surprise me if it was)?

Also is Setdown intended to break out of the while loop?  Because I
can't
see a way to escape it.  (I don't have the rest of the code in front of
me)

Thanks for keep raising these issues - especially because you usually
supply
fixes for them!

Tom

On 29 Apr 2011 19:41, "Christopher Dolan" <christopher.dolan@avid.com>
wrote:
> I've experienced occasional cases where clients get stuck in the
> following block of code in Mux.start. Has anyone experienced this
> problem? I have a proposed solution below. Has anyone thought about a
> similar solution already?
>
> -- Current code --
> 1 asyncSendClientConnectionHeader();
> 2 synchronized (muxLock) {
> 3 while (!muxDown && !clientConnectionReady) {
> 4 try {
> 5 muxLock.wait(); // REMIND: timeout?
> 6 } catch (InterruptedException e) {
> 7 ...
> 8 }
> 9 }
> 10 if (muxDown) {
> 11 IOException ioe = new IOException(muxDownMessage);
> 12 ioe.initCause(muxDownCause);
> 13 throw ioe;
> 14 }
> 15 }
>
> -- Explanation of the code --
> This code handles the initial client-server handshake that starts a
JERI