river-dev mailing list archives

From Patricia Shanahan <p...@acm.org>
Subject Re: Remaining Work For Next Release
Date Sat, 02 Apr 2011 03:48:57 GMT
On 4/1/2011 12:27 PM, Jason Pratt wrote:
> i am stating that the first "graduated" release should work for everyone
> period. after that if you want to release with known bugs and reduce/not
> support sparc or whatever other platform you in your infinite wisdom deem
> irrelevant , great. river should have one release it can point at for anyone
> wanting to try/use it.

I don't know whether SPARC is irrelevant or not - that is one of the
questions we are trying to discuss. For admittedly emotional reasons, I
hope it continues to be relevant. I worked for many years designing
SPARC servers for FPS, Cray Research, and Sun Microsystems.

Maybe we'll find the SPARC failure quickly, and it will have a simple
fix. In that case, I'm sure we should include the fix in the next release.

Suppose it does not work out that way. Then we face a trade-off. How
long should we hold up the next release pending a fix for a SPARC-only
problem? Remember that means holding back fixes for bugs that affect all
systems, SPARC included.

You seem to be saying that you think there is no limit on how long we
should hold the release. Is that correct? If so, why?

Patricia