river-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Firmstone <j...@zeus.net.au>
Subject Re: Remaining Work For Next Release
Date Fri, 01 Apr 2011 10:18:55 GMT
Dan Creswell wrote:
> I think there are some other things we might consider:
>
> (1) Do the tests in question always fail and only on SPARC?

Yes and only on the Java 6 JVM.  The way security policy's are loaded
changed in Java 6.  In reality a SecurityManager must be loaded at
startup with a policy provider, this is not our current practise, so we
do have some code which is not quite as good as it should be, but these
things take time to improve and we don't even know what the cause of the
bug is either.  We could document the bug in the release, it's a
security issue with java 6 on sparc, at this point in time, it's
probably worth one last look at the bug before release.

Long term support for sparc is another issue, perhaps Oracle might be
kind enough to donate some sparc hardware to Apache.

> (2) Do the tests in question contain any SPARC specific code?

No.

> (3) Does the code being tested contain any SPARC specific code?

No.
> (4) How many cores are available on the SPARC's in question vs other
> machines we test on?

4 single core cpu's (slow 450Mhz), 1MB cache each, 4GB Ram, interleaved
memory.