river-dev mailing list archives

From Patricia Shanahan <p...@acm.org>
Subject Re: Bibliography format question
Date Wed, 09 Mar 2011 19:51:46 GMT
On 3/9/2011 11:16 AM, Tom Hobbs wrote:
> Hi Patricia,
>
> The basic rule is, if you're the first person doing it, then you get
> to chose.  And as you say, the result will be in a format that
> everyone can read and see.  I assume that your "left to myself" bit
> describes a fairly standard way of doing this kind of thing.  In which
> case, I'd say go with that.

The approach I'm considering is the way it is often done in the computer
science academic world. Its main disadvantage is that it is not WYSIWYG.
Its advantages are very precise formatting control, text source files
that work well with revision control, and availability of prepared
BibTex data for many publications.

However, I don't want to exclude others who might not be familiar with
LaTex but would otherwise contribute.

> On a vaguely related note.  I agree with you that a distributed
> transaction manager is a more useful (necessary?) addition than a
> distributed Java Space, so I took the liberty of creating a Jira for
> tracking it's issues, notes, thoughts etc.
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/RIVER-394
>
> I hope that's okay.

It's not just okay, it's excellent. I plan to comment on it as I learn
relevant information.

Patricia