river-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "De Groot, Cees" <cdegr...@marktplaats.nl>
Subject Re: Bibliography format question
Date Thu, 10 Mar 2011 16:13:58 GMT
...and I can't help remarking that this is a bunch of people who are hacking away at a pretty
advanced system. A bibliography format shouldn't be beyond them :)

On 10Mar, 2011, at 16:59 , Christopher Dolan wrote:

> I think everyone agrees that whatever output you create, Pat, will be
> appreciated so feel welcome to use the tools you prefer.
> Chris
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Patricia Shanahan [mailto:pats@acm.org] 
> Sent: Wednesday, March 09, 2011 5:31 PM
> To: dev@river.apache.org
> Subject: Re: Bibliography format question
> 
> I've taken a quick look at Lyx, and it is not exactly a LaTeX GUI. It 
> has its own file format, with LaTeX import and export, although it 
> closely depends on LaTeX and does do BibTeX bibliographies.
> 
> It uses programs such as pdflatex to do its typesetting, so it cannot 
> have any capabilities that are not in LaTeX.
> 
> I'm reluctant to commit to a single GUI, so I'm still intending to 
> maintain the source files as LaTeX and BibTeX, for which there are many 
> GUI editors and command line tools. However, I will periodically import 
> into Lyx to make sure it works. I don't expect need to do anything 
> really fancy with macros and the like in LaTeX.
> 
> Patricia
> 
> On 3/9/2011 3:19 PM, Christopher Dolan wrote:
>> It's a LaTeX GUI.  http://www.lyx.org/
>> 
>> I approve of the LaTeX/BibTeX approach. BibTeX was the first (but not
>> last!) document syntax that drove me to write Makefiles...  :-)
>> 
>> Chris
>> 
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: Patricia Shanahan [mailto:pats@acm.org]
>> Sent: Wednesday, March 09, 2011 3:49 PM
>> To: dev@river.apache.org
>> Subject: Re: Bibliography format question
>> 
>> I know nothing about Lyx, so I'll have to look into it. What format
> does
>> 
>> it keep its files in?
>> 
>> Patricia
>> 
>> 
>> On 3/9/2011 1:32 PM, Peter Firmstone wrote:
>>> For people who don't know TeX, it might be possible to use Lyx?
>>> 
>>> Peter.
>>> 
>>> Patricia Shanahan wrote:
>>>> On 3/9/2011 11:16 AM, Tom Hobbs wrote:
>>>>> Hi Patricia,
>>>>> 
>>>>> The basic rule is, if you're the first person doing it, then you
> get
>>>>> to chose. And as you say, the result will be in a format that
>>>>> everyone can read and see. I assume that your "left to myself" bit
>>>>> describes a fairly standard way of doing this kind of thing. In
>> which
>>>>> case, I'd say go with that.
>>>> 
>>>> The approach I'm considering is the way it is often done in the
>>>> computer science academic world. Its main disadvantage is that it is
>>>> not WYSIWYG. Its advantages are very precise formatting control,
> text
>>>> source files that work well with revision control, and availability
>> of
>>>> prepared BibTex data for many publications.
>>>> 
>>>> However, I don't want to exclude others who might not be familiar
>> with
>>>> LaTex but would otherwise contribute.
>>>> 
>>>>> 
>>>>> On a vaguely related note. I agree with you that a distributed
>>>>> transaction manager is a more useful (necessary?) addition than a
>>>>> distributed Java Space, so I took the liberty of creating a Jira
> for
>>>>> tracking it's issues, notes, thoughts etc.
>>>>> 
>>>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/RIVER-394
>>>>> 
>>>>> I hope that's okay.
>>>> 
>>>> It's not just okay, it's excellent. I plan to comment on it as I
>> learn
>>>> relevant information.
>>>> 
>>>> Patricia
>>>> 
>>> 
>>> 
>> 
>> 
> 


Mime
View raw message