river-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] drop JDK 5 compatibility
Date Tue, 08 Feb 2011 07:57:25 GMT
So, although consider my opinion of 'low impact', I agree with Peter
that there need to be a substantial case for platform-like code to
abandon a previous Java version. IMHO, Java 5 has a LOT of features
that most platforms can leverage to their advantage, Java 6 much less
so...

My primary project just recently up'ed the requirement to Java 6, due
to a nasty bug in the Generics compiler in Java 5, for which there is
never going to be a fix. If/when there are such issues in River, then
sure...

As for 'recommended version', it is quite important that River's core
team and test set up are using JDK 1.5 in their toolkits, as it
otherwise quickly 'leaks' 1.6 methods into the codebase. Also, if the
test or build tools require 1.6, then I think that is totally
acceptable as well.

Cheers and keep up the good momentum....

Cheers
Niclas

--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer