river-dev mailing list archives

From Dan Creswell <dan.cresw...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Bug nominations
Date Thu, 10 Feb 2011 17:10:48 GMT
"Many times better hardware is a better choice."

That depends on how you weight the pros and cons of course....

Many enterprises go with "better hardware as a better choice" and ultimately
still suffer horrendous complexity, uncontrollable/difficult to manage
failures, high operational costs, cheaper developers (ironically they
produce less stuff and it's more likely to be anything other than what the
customer desires) etc.

Some enterprises go with cheap hardware, "guesses" as you call them, or
indeed tradeoffs of CAP theorem as I prefer to call them. They tend to have
fewer and better developers and potential (not always realised) for
"operational sanity" (well understood, simple processes for failure
handling, no special hardware arrangements etc).

"Better choice" then, for me at least, is more like "more suited to the
average enterprise environment where there isn't particularly good
understanding of the consequences of that choice and little genuine care for
decent product". At the risk of offending people it's the equivalent of
putting Windows on a PC and tolerating the endless reboots etc. I prefer OS
X or some other variety of UNIX.

An example:

Everyone loves Oracle, they build clusters of high quality hardware, have
asynchronous replication to a DR site and write their software as if the
database is always present. They often place all their code on top of a
single database. The day comes when that database fails (dies, exhibits a
bug, network fails, performance goes through the floot, yes these things all
happen and more often than people would like to believe) and the entire
business stops. Oh they recover eventually, probably lose some transactions
along the way (because they didn't understand what asynchronous replication
does), suffer a myriad of deployment and recommissioning issues but they
stagger on complaining as they go and burning huge quantities of cash just
to keep themselves alive.

This is a whole big topic, I could go on for hours, I'm sure others can too
and I'm sure we'll have many differing opinions but the overall challenge is
the same:

(1) What kind of systems do we want to build with Jini?
(2) What kind of users do we want using Jini?
(3) What kinds of stuff do we need to build given (1) and (2).

I have a particular (obvious?) bias, I believe Jini might satisfy that
desire equally I could imagine lots of people would like to make Jini the
same old, same old that Oracle, SpringSource and such provide. The further
we are from the former and the closer we are to the latter, the less I'll
have any interest because it's all been done before.