river-dev mailing list archives

From Dennis Reedy <dennis.re...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Benchmark organization
Date Mon, 28 Feb 2011 13:59:40 GMT

On Feb 28, 2011, at 836AM, Tom Hobbs wrote:

> That makes sense as far as Patricia's question goes and assuming her
> tests fitted nicely in those boxes.
>
> The modular build tangent we've gone off on is not so easily satisfied.
>
> I agree with Peter that modularising the build to allow different
> parts of River to evolve at different places *more easily* is a noble
> goal and one worth pursuing.  I think, and please correct me if I'm
> wrong, is that not all the tests fit into such nice individual
> buckets.

I'm not sure. I have not had the opportunity to take a serious look at how the tests may be
organized, and whether they will align within the modules.

My assumption is most unit tests will align just fine. For integration tests, and for benchmarks
that incorporate multiple parts of river, we can declare other modules (artifacts) as test
only dependencies (for example an outrigger test that depends on mahalo), or worst case create
a specific module that pulls in the parts of the system needed to accomplish specific goals.