river-dev mailing list archives

From MICHAEL MCGRADY <mmcgr...@topiatechnology.com>
Subject Re: Environment Spec? [was; drop JDK 5 compatibility]
Date Mon, 14 Feb 2011 15:01:23 GMT
I agree.  Mind meld.

MG

On Feb 14, 2011, at 2:02 AM, Calum Shaw-Mackay wrote:

> On 14 Feb 2011, at 05:29, MICHAEL MCGRADY wrote:
>
>> I think that the original vision needs to be revisited and River needs to see if
that vision has been realized or not.  There might be no point in going further.  Further
and further and further is not the point.  The point today is what is the point?

> I agree for the most part with this, but given that the Jini 2.1 starter kit was released
over 5 years ago, and we're now looking to 2.1.2, I believe that without a clear roadmap,
or indeed some ideas that can be explored,  Jini will be going no further anyway. So I think
my version is more like 'The point today is what has been stalling us?', and I understand
the upheaval and the like with the move from Sun to Apache stewardship, but this alone cannot
account for nearly five years of near stagnation.

> The development arena of 5 years ago is different from the one of today, irrespective
of the original vision, there has to be a view of how we make Jini and River relevant today,
to drive adoption and new blood, and we cannot do this unless at least some part of the community
is willing to look outside, see where the trends and issues are, and begin to discuss where
River can augment or help with those trends and issues, and then at some point actually do
it.

> --Calum

Michael McGrady
Chief Architect