river-dev mailing list archives

From MICHAEL MCGRADY <mmcgr...@topiatechnology.com>
Subject Re: Test speed vs. effectiveness
Date Thu, 10 Feb 2011 22:26:39 GMT
The tests, I would say, are gold.

MG

On Feb 10, 2011, at 1:40 PM, Patricia Shanahan wrote:

> The investigation that revealed problems in outrigger's FastList and some of the corresponding
test code started from a single failure of a QA test that usually runs correctly. The failure
did not reproduce with the test as currently checked in. To investigate, I had to drastically
increase the numbers of entries and threads.

> Should I check in more stressful versions of some or all of the outrigger stress tests?
>
> Doing so would further slow down QA, by order minutes for each enhanced test. On the
other hand, I have clear evidence that the current versions of the tests have low probability
of finding concurrency bugs that could be detected by enhanced versions.

> Patricia

Michael McGrady
Chief Architect
Topia Technology, Inc.