river-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Trasuk <tras...@stratuscom.com>
Subject Re: Iphones, etc
Date Wed, 23 Feb 2011 06:13:43 GMT

Hi Michael:

The wisdom so far has been that the Jini Surrogate architecture is the
way to let non-Java (or at least non-full-JDK) devices act as
participants in a Jini network.  Basically, the device reaches out to a
surrogate host that is willing to host a Java-based "surrogate" that can
participate fully in the Jini network, and act as a protocol bridge to
the limited device.

Sadly, the original Surrogate container (called Madison if memory serves
me) is of unkown copyright/license provenance, so can't be brought
cleanly over to Apache.

I'm working on a clean re-implementation of the Surrogate architecture,
however as a side-project, the deadline is "indefinite".  I also don't
have an iPhone, but thought I might try something with a Blackberry at
some point.

Some background info on Surrogate can be found at:
http://www.jini.org/files/specs/surrogate/sa.pdf
http://www.artima.com/jini/serviceui/DeviceUIs.html
http://www.comscigate.com/JDJ/archives/0705/swaney/index.html
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/wireless/library/wi-jini.html
http://www.google.ca/url?q=http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download%3Fdoi%3D10.1.1.99.1437%26rep%3Drep1%26type%3Dpdf&sa=U&ei=R59kTZL9JIH88Aa5tZnjBg&ved=0CEkQFjAV&usg=AFQjCNF4iDTxxpuPvAY4BR9l5rAxhgicAA
http://www2.sys-con.com/itsg/virtualcd/Java/archives/0806/patil/index.html

Best Regards,

Greg.

On Tue, 2011-02-22 at 17:30, MICHAEL MCGRADY wrote:
> I know that but forgot it temporarily (the advantages of aging), but Java can certainly
talk to C++, etc, so where there is a will there is usually a way?

> MG
>

> On Feb 22, 2011, at 2:26 PM, Benson Margulies wrote:
>
> > no java on iPhone. not not, not ever.
> >
> > On Feb 22, 2011, at 5:02 PM, MICHAEL MCGRADY
> > <mmcgrady@topiatechnology.com> wrote:
> >
> >> What work in JINI/River has been done with iphones, etc?  Can some one steer
me to a bunch of information?  Thanks.