river-dev mailing list archives

From Tom Hobbs <tvho...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: build mechanisms
Date Tue, 18 Jan 2011 10:21:03 GMT
> But on the other hand this work seems to be dividing the development community, so I have
to weigh up the
> benefits of pursuing it further.

This isn't a division, it's a discussion.  I don't think there's any
danger of a fork/exodus because of disagreements over whether or not
to use Ant!  :-)

The Proof Of Concept in the skunk is exactly the right way to do it.
Like I said before, let's finish the experiment then we/you can
explain the tangible benefits of one over the other.  Then we can
decide whether or not to merge.

Sim is correct, we do need to discuss what the modules are that need
to be built.  I think that largely they are self-explanatory.  And if
things are as easy as you say, then merging these two modules, and
splitting that one, and putting other code in a different one should
all be pretty easy.

It does make sense to leave the Ant build process alone until the POC
using Maven/Gradle(?) is complete and we can compare.

I don't think that Peter or anyone else is advocating throwing away
Ant until Maven is a proven *better* system.  Certainly it wouldn't be
thrown away without a vote first.  The vote can't happen until the POC
is complete and we've all had a play with it.