river-dev mailing list archives

From MICHAEL MCGRADY <mmcgr...@topiatechnology.com>
Subject Re: Space/outrigger suggestions (remote iterator vs. collection)
Date Wed, 19 Jan 2011 00:51:02 GMT
I might be daft but I did not hear an objection to Java 1.5.  Did anyone else?  I had a question
about Java 1.6.

MG

On Jan 18, 2011, at 4:16 PM, Patricia Shanahan wrote:

> James Grahn wrote:
>> It (finally) occurred to me that we can have our cake and eat it too in this case.
>> We can have the sweet deliciousness of API symmetry and retain the implementation
advantages of remote iterator & collection by having both take-multiple and contents return:
>> Iterable.
>> This would introduce more flexibility in the spec, allowing more design decisions
to be made by those implementing, while presenting a uniform external return type to the users.
  (A relatively standard one at that.)
>> When I was looking at the remote iterator earlier, I was thinking it would probably
be best to have it implement Iterator and probably Iterable anyway.
>> The only potential sour note is that Iterable is a 1.5 interface.   So that's come
up again.

> We could define our own Iterable, in one of our packages, with the same definition as
java.util.Iterable.

> However, it would not have the nice for-loop syntax, and we could spend a lot of time
building up workarounds for not being 1.5.

> Patricia

Michael McGrady
Chief Architect
Topia Technology, Inc.