river-dev mailing list archives

From James Grahn <jgr...@simulexinc.com>
Subject Re: Space/outrigger suggestions (remote iterator vs. collection)
Date Wed, 19 Jan 2011 01:40:13 GMT
One last thing from the original discussion...

On 12/22/2010 3:27 PM, Dan Creswell wrote:
> Maybe the test we should do first is to ask our users what they think about
> the APIs, naming and such....maybe you guys already did that and I haven't
> read enough of the archives to know in which case, my bad.

We haven't gotten to the point of surveying users yet; the start of this
discussion was merely my list of suggestions flowing from being a user
of spaces for years.   So the first thing to decide is whether or not
any of the suggestions have merit.   (Thanks for your contributions
toward that discussion, by the way.)

It was also immediately suggested that it might be favorable to preserve
the original Javaspace interface and implement whatever changes we
decide to adopt within a new interface (Riverspace?).

The implementation cost of such a new service would be relatively low,
as it would share most behavior with Javaspace; the primary cost of that
approach would be potential user confusion over similar-but-distinct
services.

It may be the best way to introduce changes, however: it would be
similar to introducing Javaspace05 alongside Javaspace, though we'd
probably not be extending the interface this time.

jamesG