river-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Firmstone <j...@zeus.net.au>
Subject [VOTE] Re: build mechanisms
Date Mon, 17 Jan 2011 22:04:55 GMT
Sim IJskes - QCG wrote:
> On 16-01-11 13:10, Peter Firmstone wrote:
>> demonstrate. When the time comes we'll all have an opportunity to
>> analyse and discuss whether the modular build structure should be
>> adopted, if the community decides not to adopt it for whatever reason, I
>> will still have had the opportunity to learn much about River's
>> structure.
>
> OK, i will hold all contributions until you have reported, and this
> issue is settled.

Have you had a look at what Dennis contributed on River-300?  Did you
attempt to build it?

Dennis supplied two alternate Modular system build examples.

It took about 2 minutes to build a module on my machine, if the tests
specific to the module are included, the build test cycle for a module
is going to be very short, quite suitable for test driven development.

At the moment, I'm putting this contribution into skunk so people
without commit access can cooperate and submit patches against it.

At this point in time I'm still investigating it myself, however I also
have to recognise that my time is limited due to other work commitments
and the time required to complete a modular build quite large.  Until it
is complete, we don't know for sure how well suited it is to building
and testing River.

What I can say from my investigations to date is that it looks very
promising.

But on the other hand this work seems to be dividing the development
community, so I have to weigh up the benefits of pursuing it further.

If I continue to pursue the modular build investigation, it creates
uncertainty for developers whom have planned improvements for the
current build process.

Since the build process plays a key role in development, continuing to
investigate the modular build process, without making a decision, risks
stagnating the project, due to uncertainty.  Sometimes no decision is
the worst decision.

So based on the knowledge we have so far, I'm asking you all to cast a
vote on whether you want a modular build or or keep the existing build.

I hope that whatever the vote result may be, we are all able to move
forward and continue working productively together.

Regards,

Peter.