river-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Firmstone <j...@zeus.net.au>
Subject Re: build mechanisms
Date Fri, 14 Jan 2011 23:29:02 GMT
It sounds like we need to re-discuss how we use svn for River's development.

I'd like to wait until Patricia returns, so we've got everyone on board
and we all have the opportunity to reconsider the development process.

The following is my current understanding of River's development process:

After I had been coding directly in the trunk, and we found there were
issues in doing so for a team of developers, it was my understanding
that experimental work could be performed in skunk, then when code had
some peer review, was ready etc, it could be merged back into trunk.

Minor changes or patches and bug fixes can be committed to trunk with
peer review.

Trunk is the stable branch used for release branches, in order to
capture all the patches and bug fixes that are submitted to Jira issues etc.

To cut the next release, I will branch the current trunk, I will rely on
the JIRA system to generate the release notes, it won't be based on the
previous release branch.

It is also worth noting that Sim has done significant work getting
Hudson running on all the different platforms that River supports, I
understand the frustration seeing us reorganising the source tree in
skunk, since a lot of this work might have to be done again.

We need to maintain the current trunk build, it will be used for the
next release, this in itself will be a significant achievement, your
work will not be wasted.

There are a number of modular build systems:
Ivy + Ant
Maven
Gradle

I personally haven't made a choice about which build system is the most
suitable, I was glad to hear from Dennis that we're not tied into any
particular build system, that the new directory structure was common
among Maven and Gradle (I'm not sure about Ivy + Ant, but it probably
is), allowing us the flexibility of change.

However it is worth mentioning, that the modular build in its current
form is still an experiment and should be viewed as such until it has
had peer review and acceptance by the community.

Peter.