river-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Firmstone <j...@zeus.net.au>
Subject Re: build mechanisms
Date Fri, 14 Jan 2011 11:53:26 GMT
Sim IJskes - QCG wrote:
> On 14-01-11 12:26, Peter Firmstone wrote:
>> Well one problem with the current build system is the time taken, not
>> only to build it, but to test it, taking around 20 hours. A modular
>> build will speed development, allowing developers to concentrate on one
>> module and the tests applicable to that module.
>
> Incremental compilation works very fast for me. The dependency
> management in ant is smart enough to see what needs to be recompiled.

It cannot discern between binary and compile time compatibility, which
is a problem for monolithic builds.  Ever develop with build cycles,
that only compile some classes, only to find later when you clean then
build, it is broken?  I have.

> As for the testing, i've also looked at modularizing the testing, and
> i think it will be a impressive undertaking to modularize it in
> subsystems. Can i expect it to fully work before judging its merits?
>
> The tests can be modularized with the current system anyhow. Just
> create a category and you have your modularized system. No code changes.
>
> The lenght of the QA is because we need to test everything. That will
> not change with the new modularization approach.

I'm going to refrain from getting drawn into arguments that can't be won
without a demonstrable example for now, we can discuss the advantages
later when the modular build is more mature.  Otherwise we're comparing
something that is mature against something that doesn't yet exist.

Cheers,

Peter.