river-dev mailing list archives

From Sim IJskes - QCG <...@qcg.nl>
Subject Re: build mechanisms
Date Fri, 14 Jan 2011 11:46:16 GMT
On 14-01-11 12:26, Peter Firmstone wrote:
> Well one problem with the current build system is the time taken, not
> only to build it, but to test it, taking around 20 hours. A modular
> build will speed development, allowing developers to concentrate on one
> module and the tests applicable to that module.

Incremental compilation works very fast for me. The dependency
management in ant is smart enough to see what needs to be recompiled.

As for the testing, i've also looked at modularizing the testing, and i
think it will be a impressive undertaking to modularize it in
subsystems. Can i expect it to fully work before judging its merits?

The tests can be modularized with the current system anyhow. Just create
a category and you have your modularized system. No code changes.

The lenght of the QA is because we need to test everything. That will
not change with the new modularization approach.

Gr. Sim