river-dev mailing list archives

From Sim IJskes - QCG <...@qcg.nl>
Subject Re: build mechanisms
Date Fri, 14 Jan 2011 10:28:47 GMT
On 14-01-11 11:13, Dan Creswell wrote:

> I may be misunderstanding but I'm not real keen on rebuilding the build
> system on the basis that "it really will be better, really, even though we
> can't explain why in advance" - that is the mistake of many a dev team over
> the years.

Even so, without knowledge of serious defects in the current build, it
feels a bit like: "lets rebuild river, in the xyz programming language,
because its newer, and better. And throw the old version away".

I see a fundamental problem here. Peter puts a lot of effort into
something new here, without proof of the old one broken. He is
completely free to do so. If he wants to explore new things, thats
absolutely fine, but in order for us all to profit from his work, and
that of Dennis, we need to have consensus on our willingness to throw
the old system away. Because thats what we are going to do when we
accept the new.

Gr. Sim