river-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Firmstone <j...@zeus.net.au>
Subject Re: Need for jsk-dl.jar
Date Mon, 03 Jan 2011 23:47:52 GMT
Dennis Reedy wrote:
> I'm slogging through classes and jars attempting some modularization of the River codebase.
Its going fairly well. I'm sitting here scratching my head whilst looking at jsk-dl.jar. My
question is as follows:

> In general jsk-lib.jar is either in the classpath of a service, as well as in the classpath
of a client. The inclusion of jsk-lib.jar (from a client's point of view) brings along helpful
utilities like ServiceDiscoveryManager and the like. From a service developers point of view,
you can't really get around not using it.

> If jsk-lib.jar is in the classpath (and by inclusion jsk-platform.jar), why do we need
jsk-dl.jar? Unless I'm mistaken all of the classes that are in jsk-dl.jar are already in jsk-lib.jar,
why is it needed?

> What have I forgotten?
>
> Regards
>
> Dennis

I was alluding to that earlier myself, it seems to be there for proxy's
to utilise when clients lack jsk-lib.jar, but in a modular environment
this could cause versioning issues, if the client already has it
installed locally, the release notes simply states:

The codebase JAR file for |jsk-lib.jar|. An application that includes
|jsk-lib.jar| in its class-path may also need to include |jsk-dl.jar| in
its codebase.

Oddly enough a diff reveals that there is one class present in
jsk-dl.jar missing from jsk-lib.jar:

bash-3.00$ diff jsk-dl.deps jsk-lib.deps
0a1
 > com/sun/jini/action/GetLongAction.class
3c4,7
< com/sun/jini/jeri/internal/http/HttpParseException.class
---
 > com/sun/jini/config/Component.class
 > com/sun/jini/config/Config.class
 > com/sun/jini/constants/ThrowableConstants.class
 > com/sun/jini/constants/TimeConstants.class
5a10
 > com/sun/jini/landlord/FixedLeasePeriodPolicy.class
10a16,21
 > com/sun/jini/landlord/LandlordUtil.class
 > com/sun/jini/landlord/LeaseFactory.class
 > com/sun/jini/landlord/LeasePeriodPolicy.class
 > com/sun/jini/landlord/LeasePeriodPolicy$Result.class
 > com/sun/jini/landlord/LeasedResource.class
 > com/sun/jini/landlord/LocalLandlord.class
19a31
 > com/sun/jini/logging/LogUtil.class
20a33,35
 > com/sun/jini/lookup/entry/LookupAttributes.class
 > com/sun/jini/lookup/entry/LookupAttributes$FieldComparator.class
 > com/sun/jini/phoenix/ActivationAdmin.class
24a40,47
 > com/sun/jini/reliableLog/LogException.class
 > com/sun/jini/reliableLog/LogHandler.class
 > com/sun/jini/reliableLog/LogInputStream.class
 > com/sun/jini/reliableLog/LogOutputStream.class
 > com/sun/jini/reliableLog/ReliableLog.class
 > com/sun/jini/resource/Service.class
 > com/sun/jini/resource/Service$1.class
 > com/sun/jini/resource/Service$LazyIterator.class
25a49
 > com/sun/jini/start/LifeCycle.class
26a51,77
 > com/sun/jini/thread/Executor.class
 > com/sun/jini/thread/GetThreadPoolAction.class
 > com/sun/jini/thread/InProgress.class
 > com/sun/jini/thread/InterruptedStatusThread.class
 > com/sun/jini/thread/NewThreadAction.class
 > com/sun/jini/thread/NewThreadAction$1.class
 > com/sun/jini/thread/NewThreadAction$2.class
 > com/sun/jini/thread/ReadersWriter.class
 > com/sun/jini/thread/ReadersWriter$ConcurrentLockException.class
 > com/sun/jini/thread/ReadyState.class
 > com/sun/jini/thread/ReadyState$RemoteExceptionWrapper.class
 > com/sun/jini/thread/RetryTask.class
 > com/sun/jini/thread/RetryTask$1.class
 > com/sun/jini/thread/RetryTask$RetryTime.class
 > com/sun/jini/thread/StreamPlugThread.class
 > com/sun/jini/thread/TaskManager.class
 > com/sun/jini/thread/TaskManager$Task.class
 > com/sun/jini/thread/TaskManager$TaskThread.class
 > com/sun/jini/thread/ThreadPool.class
 > com/sun/jini/thread/ThreadPool$Task.class
 > com/sun/jini/thread/ThreadPool$Worker.class
 > com/sun/jini/thread/ThreadPoolPermission.class
 > com/sun/jini/thread/WakeupManager.class
 > com/sun/jini/thread/WakeupManager$1.class
 > com/sun/jini/thread/WakeupManager$Kicker.class
 > com/sun/jini/thread/WakeupManager$ThreadDesc.class
 > com/sun/jini/thread/WakeupManager$Ticket.class
28a80,128
 > net/jini/discovery/Constants.class
 > net/jini/discovery/DiscoveryChangeListener.class
 > net/jini/discovery/DiscoveryEvent.class
 > net/jini/discovery/DiscoveryGroupManagement.class
 > net/jini/discovery/DiscoveryListener.class
 > net/jini/discovery/DiscoveryLocatorManagement.class
 > net/jini/discovery/DiscoveryManagement.class
 > net/jini/discovery/DiscoveryPermission.class
 > net/jini/discovery/DiscoveryPermission$1.class
 > net/jini/discovery/DiscoveryPermission$Collection.class
 > net/jini/discovery/IncomingMulticastAnnouncement.class
 > net/jini/discovery/IncomingMulticastRequest.class
 > net/jini/discovery/IncomingUnicastRequest.class
 > net/jini/discovery/IncomingUnicastResponse.class
 > net/jini/discovery/LookupDiscovery.class
 > net/jini/discovery/LookupDiscovery$1.class
 > net/jini/discovery/LookupDiscovery$10.class
 > net/jini/discovery/LookupDiscovery$11.class
 > net/jini/discovery/LookupDiscovery$12.class
 > net/jini/discovery/LookupDiscovery$12$1.class
 > net/jini/discovery/LookupDiscovery$13.class
 > net/jini/discovery/LookupDiscovery$2.class
 > net/jini/discovery/LookupDiscovery$3.class
 > net/jini/discovery/LookupDiscovery$4.class
 > net/jini/discovery/LookupDiscovery$5.class
 > net/jini/discovery/LookupDiscovery$6.class
 > net/jini/discovery/LookupDiscovery$7.class
 > net/jini/discovery/LookupDiscovery$8.class
 > net/jini/discovery/LookupDiscovery$9.class
 > net/jini/discovery/LookupDiscovery$AnnouncementInfo.class
 > net/jini/discovery/LookupDiscovery$AnnouncementListener.class
 > net/jini/discovery/LookupDiscovery$AnnouncementTimerThread.class
 > net/jini/discovery/LookupDiscovery$CheckGroupsMarker.class
 > net/jini/discovery/LookupDiscovery$CheckReachabilityMarker.class
 > net/jini/discovery/LookupDiscovery$DecodeAnnouncementTask.class
 > net/jini/discovery/LookupDiscovery$DecodeAnnouncementTask$1.class
 > net/jini/discovery/LookupDiscovery$Notifier.class
 > net/jini/discovery/LookupDiscovery$Notifier$1.class
 > net/jini/discovery/LookupDiscovery$NotifyTask.class
 > net/jini/discovery/LookupDiscovery$Requestor.class
 > net/jini/discovery/LookupDiscovery$ResponseListener.class
 > net/jini/discovery/LookupDiscovery$UnicastDiscoveryTask.class
 > net/jini/discovery/LookupDiscovery$UnicastDiscoveryTask$1.class
 > net/jini/discovery/LookupDiscovery$UnicastDiscoveryTask$2.class
 > net/jini/discovery/LookupDiscoveryManager.class
 > net/jini/discovery/LookupDiscoveryManager$1.class
 > net/jini/discovery/LookupDiscoveryManager$GroupDiscoveryListener.class
 > net/jini/discovery/LookupDiscoveryManager$LocatorDiscoveryListener.class
 > net/jini/discovery/LookupDiscoveryManager$ProxyReg.class
30a131,138
 > net/jini/discovery/LookupLocatorDiscovery.class
 > net/jini/discovery/LookupLocatorDiscovery$1.class
 > net/jini/discovery/LookupLocatorDiscovery$DiscoveryTask.class
 > net/jini/discovery/LookupLocatorDiscovery$LocatorReg.class
 > net/jini/discovery/LookupLocatorDiscovery$LocatorReg$1.class
 > net/jini/discovery/LookupLocatorDiscovery$LocatorReg$2.class
 > net/jini/discovery/LookupLocatorDiscovery$Notifier.class
 > net/jini/discovery/LookupLocatorDiscovery$NotifyTask.class
31a140,144
 > net/jini/discovery/OutgoingMulticastAnnouncement.class
 > net/jini/discovery/OutgoingMulticastAnnouncement$1.class
 > net/jini/discovery/OutgoingMulticastRequest.class
 > net/jini/discovery/OutgoingUnicastRequest.class
 > net/jini/discovery/OutgoingUnicastResponse.class
40a154,161
 > net/jini/lease/DesiredExpirationListener.class
 > net/jini/lease/ExpirationWarningEvent.class
 > net/jini/lease/LeaseListener.class
 > net/jini/lease/LeaseRenewalEvent.class
 > net/jini/lease/LeaseRenewalManager.class
 > net/jini/lease/LeaseRenewalManager$Entry.class
 > net/jini/lease/LeaseRenewalManager$QueuerTask.class
 > net/jini/lease/LeaseRenewalManager$RenewTask.class
45a167,191
 > net/jini/lookup/JoinManager.class
 > net/jini/lookup/JoinManager$1.class
 > net/jini/lookup/JoinManager$AddAttributesTask.class
 > net/jini/lookup/JoinManager$DiscMgrListener.class
 > net/jini/lookup/JoinManager$DiscardProxyTask.class
 > net/jini/lookup/JoinManager$JoinTask.class
 > net/jini/lookup/JoinManager$LeaseExpireNotifyTask.class
 > net/jini/lookup/JoinManager$ModifyAttributesTask.class
 > net/jini/lookup/JoinManager$ProxyReg.class
 > net/jini/lookup/JoinManager$ProxyReg$DiscLeaseListener.class
 > net/jini/lookup/JoinManager$ProxyRegTask.class
 > net/jini/lookup/JoinManager$RegisterTask.class
 > net/jini/lookup/JoinManager$SetAttributesTask.class
 > net/jini/lookup/LookupCache.class
 > net/jini/lookup/ServiceDiscoveryEvent.class
 > net/jini/lookup/ServiceDiscoveryListener.class
 > net/jini/lookup/ServiceDiscoveryManager.class
 > net/jini/lookup/ServiceDiscoveryManager$1.class
 > net/jini/lookup/ServiceDiscoveryManager$CacheTask.class
 > net/jini/lookup/ServiceDiscoveryManager$DiscMgrListener.class
 > net/jini/lookup/ServiceDiscoveryManager$EventReg.class
 > net/jini/lookup/ServiceDiscoveryManager$LeaseListenerImpl.class
 > net/jini/lookup/ServiceDiscoveryManager$LookupCacheImpl.class

net/jini/lookup/ServiceDiscoveryManager$LookupCacheImpl$DiscardServiceTask.class

net/jini/lookup/ServiceDiscoveryManager$LookupCacheImpl$LookupListener.class
46a193,205
 > net/jini/lookup/ServiceDiscoveryManager$LookupCacheImpl$LookupTask.class

net/jini/lookup/ServiceDiscoveryManager$LookupCacheImpl$NewOldServiceTask.class

net/jini/lookup/ServiceDiscoveryManager$LookupCacheImpl$NotifyEventTask.class

net/jini/lookup/ServiceDiscoveryManager$LookupCacheImpl$ProxyRegDropTask.class

net/jini/lookup/ServiceDiscoveryManager$LookupCacheImpl$RegisterListenerTask.class

net/jini/lookup/ServiceDiscoveryManager$LookupCacheImpl$ServiceDiscardTimerTask.class

net/jini/lookup/ServiceDiscoveryManager$LookupCacheImpl$UnmapProxyTask.class
 > net/jini/lookup/ServiceDiscoveryManager$ProxyReg.class

net/jini/lookup/ServiceDiscoveryManager$ServiceDiscoveryListenerImpl.class
 > net/jini/lookup/ServiceDiscoveryManager$ServiceIdTask.class
 > net/jini/lookup/ServiceDiscoveryManager$ServiceItemReg.class
 > net/jini/lookup/ServiceIDListener.class
 > net/jini/lookup/ServiceItemFilter.class
51a211
 > net/jini/lookup/entry/EntryBeans.class
64a225,239
 > net/jini/lookup/ui/AboutUI.class
 > net/jini/lookup/ui/AdminUI.class
 > net/jini/lookup/ui/MainUI.class
 > net/jini/lookup/ui/attribute/AccessibleUI.class
 > net/jini/lookup/ui/attribute/Locales.class
 > net/jini/lookup/ui/attribute/RequiredPackages.class
 > net/jini/lookup/ui/attribute/UIFactoryTypes.class
 > net/jini/lookup/ui/factory/DialogFactory.class
 > net/jini/lookup/ui/factory/FrameFactory.class
 > net/jini/lookup/ui/factory/JComponentFactory.class
 > net/jini/lookup/ui/factory/JDialogFactory.class
 > net/jini/lookup/ui/factory/JFrameFactory.class
 > net/jini/lookup/ui/factory/JWindowFactory.class
 > net/jini/lookup/ui/factory/PanelFactory.class
 > net/jini/lookup/ui/factory/WindowFactory.class
bash-3.00$