river-dev mailing list archives

From jgr...@simulexinc.com
Subject updated refactor patch (Jira 388)
Date Tue, 11 Jan 2011 08:15:32 GMT
Before the discussion ended, the consensus seemed to be affirmative that Java 5+ would be used
at least server-side.

Without getting into the various forks of that discussion, is something like what I posted
for 388 valuable?   Should I continue on to other packages (focused primarily on outrigger
for this round)?

As a reminder, the bulk of the refactor was in correcting (not all, but some) compiler warnings
and updating the classes to use Java 5 idioms (generics, for-each, etc.).

The updates to the patch that I made were as follows:
1) Added suppressed warnings in points where the "unused" method was used by Serialization
or reflection.
2) Fixed error in initial patch (had nixed readNoData, now it's back; screwed up on context,
because it was a Serialization-read, not a space-read).
3) Added WeakHashSet class.   The majority of WeakHashMap usage in Outrigger used only the
keyset.   The WeakHashSet class is a small wrapper of WeakHashMap that clarifies the intent
a little (by implementing Set).   I isolated this change somewhat (submitting a patch with
and without), in case there were any objections.

jamesG