river-dev mailing list archives

From Dennis Reedy <dennis.re...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: build mechanisms
Date Tue, 18 Jan 2011 12:08:28 GMT

On Jan 18, 2011, at 535AM, Sim IJskes - QCG wrote:

> On 18-01-11 11:21, Tom Hobbs wrote:
>> I don't think that Peter or anyone else is advocating throwing away
>> Ant until Maven is a proven *better* system.  Certainly it wouldn't be
>> thrown away without a vote first.  The vote can't happen until the POC
>> is complete and we've all had a play with it.
>
> But i maintain, i will vote -1 if there is no document describing the underlying functions.
It doesn't have to be a big one, but i still want it.

Underlying functions? Explain.

> This document can serve as a basis for explaining the build process on the website.

This is the build process for the work contributed to RIVER-300:

gradle build; gradle -q dist

or

mvn install

The modularization approach is not based on a 'build tool'. It's goals are to organize the
project into modules that produce a single artifact (as much as possible), use accepted and
standard conventions for organizing a project, and to use project build technology that takes
into account a project composed of multiple modules. Unfortunately Ant does not help out with
any of these requirements.

Dennis

PS: Hav you looked at the contributions to RIVER-300?