river-dev mailing list archives

From Dennis Reedy <dennis.re...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Formatting of River Source Tree
Date Thu, 02 Dec 2010 14:54:16 GMT

On Dec 2, 2010, at 950AM, Patricia Shanahan wrote:

> Gregg Wonderly wrote:
>> As I've said here before and elsewhere, I really feel that tabs only is the most
beneficial indentation to use.  The reason is that it allows people who use odd tab intervals
to still see things and use their tab key while editing without having to change their IDE
settings while editing.
>> Sun has an old formatting document that discusses using spaces only, and netbeans
does this by default.  The biggest issue for me, of course, is that I use 4 character tab
expansion and tabs only in all of my development.
>> In an open source world, all tabs is really the only thing that provides the most
flexibility it seems to me.

> My current approach in making changes to River is to try to be consistent with the code
around the change.

> I am very strongly opposed to mixing tabs and space, because it loses indentation consistency
unless viewed with the same tab size as was used to create it.

> I prefer all spaces because it avoids the nasty over-indentation you get if all tabs
is viewed in with 8 spaces per tab. For example, tabbed code has real problems when  quoted
in mail or newsgroup messages. However, I'm generally willing to be flexible about this sort
of thing.

+1 for spaces over tabs