river-dev mailing list archives

From MICHAEL MCGRADY <MMCGR...@topiatechnology.com>
Subject Re: datastructure classes
Date Thu, 16 Dec 2010 02:21:20 GMT
Patricia,

If you don't mind, I am going to argue for sticking to the machines, but answer your question
roughly at the end.

The questions about either memory use or connections or transactions are stressors leading
to the question and the urgency whether or not something must scale, but they have nothing
or very little to do with whether it will scale.

If we try to involve multiple machines, then we will discover frequently that, even if we
do not need to scale, we cannot because, for example, of Amdahl's Theorem.  If we cannot go
to multiple machines as a practical matter, we cannot scale no matter what (ceteris paribus).
 If we can, then we will find, it is our experience, that we can scale no matter what (ceteris
paribus).

However, we should be able to do, say, hundreds of millions of transactions in a day in real-time
critical systems such as the FAA or the stock market with data affinity and integrity and
all the other "ilities".  If Outrigger cannot do this, it is of no interest to us.

MG

On Dec 14, 2010, at 9:48 PM, Patricia Shanahan wrote:

> Please clarify "machines a minute". Can you express it e.g. in transactions per minute?
>
> Patricia
>
> Mike McGrady wrote:
>> Linear - 7000 machines a minute, or more.
>> Sent from my iPhone
>> Michael McGrady
>> Principal investigator AF081_028 SBIR
>> Chief Architect
>> Topia Technology, Inc
>> Work 1.253.572.9712
>> Cel 1.253.720.3365
correct QCC features, especially scalability.

>>> Could you put some numbers on what sort of scalability you require?
>>>
>>> Patricia

Michael McGrady
Chief Architect
Topia Technology, Inc.