river-dev mailing list archives

From MICHAEL MCGRADY <mmcgr...@topiatechnology.com>
Subject Re: Space/outrigger suggestions
Date Sat, 18 Dec 2010 21:59:44 GMT
My understanding is this thread is saying that the required return vis-a-vis the specification
is of a certain type.  I agree that this is a strong and practical argument for generics.
 I may be dense but doesn't this settle the issue?  Why is there an issue given this?  I think
there must be an issue nevertheless but I cannot see it presently.

MG

On Dec 17, 2010, at 8:36 AM, Sim IJskes - QCG wrote:

> On 12/17/2010 05:22 PM, jgrahn@simulexinc.com wrote:
>> I suppose I should point out that the Javaspace specification does
>> guarantee that the type returned in these cases is the type of the
>> template.   If something else is returned, then the space
>> implementation is severely broken.    That being the case, why should
>> we ask users to check-and-cast?
>
> That is a strong and practical argument for generics in this occasion.
>
> Gr. Sim

Michael McGrady
Chief Architect
Topia Technology, Inc.