river-dev mailing list archives

From Dennis Reedy <dennis.re...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Standard Deployment Container [was:] Re: Jini Community Projects on Java.net WAS: Re: java.net
Date Thu, 09 Dec 2010 19:03:07 GMT

On Dec 8, 2010, at 937PM, Peter Firmstone wrote:

> Usability is a tough problem we need to solve, I recall Dan Creswell highlighted some
relevant issues.    If your looking at all the different down stream projects and want to
get their cooperation for some common functionality, we'll need to get some community buy
in.  These people are probably more aware of the pitfalls and I think we need their insight.

> There's all the different containers too.  Perhaps it's time we have a standardised deployment
container?  So users can choose and migrate among any of the downstream projects or our own
in house simple version (that supports what you're working on) without lock in.

> If this is a bad suggestion, is there a better one?

A 'container' is one small part of deployment. Sure Rio has a container (as do all the projects
you listed below), and you can start any of the stock River services using Rio, but Rio is
much more than that. If all you want is a container use ServiceStarter.

Perhaps whats River needs a something that had been proposed much earlier, and that is a standard
service descriptor/archive that documents that meta data associated with a service (artifacts,
configuration, system requirements, etc ....). In this way developers dont require a standardized
deployment container, but can be confident that using a standardized archive and bundling
format that any 'container' can instantiate their service.