river-dev mailing list archives

From Tom Hobbs <tvho...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Website, docuemntation links, and river/src-doc/static/index.html
Date Mon, 13 Dec 2010 15:36:17 GMT
>> I've been changing the Jini Specs from HTML into a style which matches
>> the rest of our website - i.e. markdown.  In retrospect, maybe that
>> wasn't the right thing to do, because (as has been pointed out) we'll
>> need to convert the specs back from markdown into HTML for easy
>> download/reading on part of the users.
>>

> Actually don't rush into reversing your changes, lets think it through,
> Markdown is intended to be viewable as text, we've got a doc-src directory,
> we could keep your changes and include markdown as a build dependency.

I've not had the opportunity to do much of anything.  I can leave what
I've done there, and just put the HTML back in without any problem.

>> As I mention in this email, having Javadocs in a different format to
>> the website is okay, and I guess that having the Jini Spec in a
>> different format is okay also.  So I'm going to rollback my changes
>> for the Jini Spec only.  This way we can just pull it off the site SVN
>> for easy packaging in/with the release.
>>

> Ok, can we go in the other direction though?  I like to build it locally,
> make changes, update and check links etc.

I'm really not sure what we're talking about any more.  You like to
build what locally?  The Jini Spec?  River?  The JavaDoc?

I doubt that the Jini Spec will change regularly, so having it
separate from the source isn't a problem - in my opinion.  Please
correct me if I'm wrong.  Besides the source, the only thing that
might be changed vaguely regularly is the JavaDoc.

> Can it be staged via an ant task.
>
> Still a markdown javadoc tool sounds neat, makes source code easier to read
> too.

How does markdown JavaDoc make the code easier to read?  In Eclipse
(at least) the documentation tips you get are JavaDoc based on the
source code you've selected or are hovering over etc.  I read the
above as formatting the JavaDoc into markdown?  Or are you saying
there's a tool for generating markdown based on Javadocs?  How would
that be any different from any other authomated tool for converting
HTML to markdown?

I.e. generate the JavaDoc as normal, then convert the resultant HTML
into Markdown.

I'm concerned that my efforts to convert the Jini Spec into Markdown
have propagated the idea that this is what we want to do.  I think
that it is/was a mistake.

Keeping both the Jini Spec and the JavaDoc as plain old HTML, and
being able to distribute one or more ZIPs containing those HTML files
is, I think, the way forward.  It also happens to be closest to what
we do now.  The only caveat is that the links from the Jini Spec to
the Javadoc would be absolute links pointing to the JavaDoc hosted on
the River site.