river-dev mailing list archives

From Tom Hobbs <tvho...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Website, docuemntation links, and river/src-doc/static/index.html
Date Mon, 13 Dec 2010 10:07:36 GMT
The "Release Notes" that come along with the Jini specs that I
recently put into staging, aren't (I think) "release notes" in the
traditional sense.  At least not all of them.  There's some real
nuggets of information in them that need to appear under a title other
than "Release notes".

With regards to what goes into our releases, the release notes as
generated out of Jira and anything else that we've been doing in the
past.  The RNs as described above don't necessarily fit into that
criteria.

I don't know about markdown and javadocs, I do want to be able to host
the javadocs (automatically, as much as possible) on the website and
update them everytime we do a new release.  The Jini Specs should have
absolute links in them to refer to the most up-to-date javadocs.  We
can provide additional downloads for the javadocs (or include it in
the release download if we think that's necessary.)  I'm not convinced
that the Jini Spec needs to be included in each release, although a
single downloadable package of the stuff would be nice.

Can we make it so that Hudson generates the Javadoc, and for a release
build, copies the Javadoc up into our website area?  The Javadoc could
also be zipped and made available from the Downloads page.  I don't
think that having the Javadoc in a different CSS/style thing to our
website is a big problem, in fact having non-matching Javadocs is
pretty common - from what I've seen elsewhere.

To summarise, my thoughts would be:
- Hudson to build the Javadoc from the source as normal HTML
- Hudson to copy the Javadoc HTML to somewhere that it can be served
by our website
- Hudson to create a ZIP of the Javadoc HTML ready for download
- Hudson to create the release containing binaries/source and release
notes and made ready for download from website
- Jini Specifications (and other documentation) to be in markdown
format on the website and contain absolute links to the most
up-to-date Javadocs
- Jini Specifications (and other documentation) to be taken from the
HTML site SVN, zipped and made available for download