river-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: Formatting of River Source Tree
Date Sat, 04 Dec 2010 16:26:17 GMT
I have some issues around tabs;

1. There are more than one "use tabs" convention out there;
   a. One tab for an indentation.
   b. Tab onto next 8 character modulo. (Example; many JDK files)

2. For 1a, when catting a source file in the console, it becomes
unreadable due to the 8 character expansion that happens there.
    For 1b. It becomes totally unreadable if you don't have your tab
expansion set to 8 characters.

3. Some (not all) projects that claim to use tabs, don't enforce it,
so unless you are actually using the same as everyone else,
indentation is buggered.

So the difference between theory and practice is that in theory there
is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there
is.

But I will not get involved in the flamewar that normally follows when
this is brought up. ;-)

Cheers

--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer