river-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: animal river integration
Date Sat, 11 Dec 2010 15:20:40 GMT
On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 5:23 PM, Tom Hobbs <tvhobbs@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Looks fine to me.  MIT and ASF licenses are compatible and according
> to the Apache site you've done all the right things.

This is correct. MIT X license contains very similar language, and in
fact prior to choosing Apache license for Jini, Sun was leaning
stronger towards the MIT license...

Additionally, AFAIK, the license restrictions applies to
'distribution' and not for 'usage'. So, if for instance, the above
tool would have been GPL (clearly prohibited) but only needed as a
tool to build the source, then we list this as a System Requirement
(similar to an operating system or a compiler) with instructions for
the downstream user how to obtain it.

Cheers
--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer