river-dev mailing list archives

From Dan Creswell <dan.cresw...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Space/outrigger suggestions
Date Mon, 20 Dec 2010 09:19:13 GMT
James G,

Can you explain some more about this statement please?

"3) Collections or remote iterators, not both.

"contents" returns a remote iterator named "MatchSet", while "take (with
collection)" returns a collection.   I can understand the argument
behind both use cases, but not necessarily the argument for using both
simultaneously.

"

This has been heavily discussed in the past and contents(), by virtue of
it's non-destructive nature (unlike take) needs something akin to a remote
iterator to be practical/useful. Multiple takes allow you to eventually
exhaust a space's contents, multiple reads won't do similarly.

So, given I'm scarred with the previous efforts of space implementation
including JavaSpace05 I fear my past is colouring my thinking so I'd like to
understand more.

Cheers,

Dan.