river-dev mailing list archives

From Wade Chandler <hwadechandler-apa...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: API and VM compatibility verification
Date Sun, 05 Dec 2010 22:01:08 GMT
----- Original Message ----

https://svn.codehaus.org/mojo/tags/animal-sniffer-parent-1.5/animal-sniffer-ant-tasks/src/main/java/org/codehaus/mojo/animal_sniffer/ant/

They have Ant tasks too. Seems one could have some tasks to build and store the
signature files then use the check signatures task against pre-stored signature
files to speed up the process.

Just peeking at the source code it looks like it is just using strict
signatures, so the issues with type expansion, such as with the BigDecimal issue
I mentioned, should be accounted for I believe. The only cases it looks like it
wouldn't work in place of good code coverage and tests in a target runtime are
when classes are loaded by name, dynamic, versus strict source code. So, it
isn't a complete solution in itself necessarily, but that depends on the logic
being examined really:
https://svn.codehaus.org/mojo/tags/animal-sniffer-parent-1.5/animal-sniffer/src/main/java/org/codehaus/mojo/animal_sniffer/

Agree, it definitely looks promising.

Wade

Wade Chandler
Software Engineer and Developer
NetBeans Dream Team Member and Contributor

http://www.netbeans.org